The Gadlys Smelting House was built in 1704 to become the largest and most technically advanced in Britain. During its life, vast quantities of lead and silver were produced. From 1704 until 1744, 12,207 kilograms of silver was extracted from the lead. Coins were minted from this silver, and all carried the three plumes of the Prince of Wales, to mark their origin.